Sunday, May 29, 2011

How it all began.





I thought it would be fun to have a post about how Sam and I became Sam and I. I'm sure she is going to make a few corrections, but this is how I remember it...

Sometime in the Fall of 2004 I went down to Ephraim to visit my friend Tommy at Snow College. Somehow I ended up an a strange apartment where there was a birthday party going on and Tommy had disappeared. I remember looking around and really not being impressed with what I saw. (No offense intended to anyone who may have been at that party.) After about a half hour I made my way to the cake and ice cream and while standing in the kitchen I turned and noticed someone new in the doorway. I don't know if it was from the habit I developed on my mission or if it was just my natural reaction, but I just stared at her for a while. It's not like I was being covert or anything either because she was staring right at me too. She disappeared into her room apparently and I made my way over to the couch to eat my cake. A moment later she reappeared and asked if she could sit by me. For the next few hours or so we just sat there watching TV and talking. I remember how pretty I thought she was and how much fun I had talking to her. She laughed and smiled a lot. I remember trying to find some kind of flaw, everything was just so perfect. I thought to myself that she must have big ugly ears or something so I casually tried to brush her hair behind her ear, which I admit was a weird thing to do, but I had to check. Turns out she has very cute ears too.

It was getting late, her room mates had all gone to bed and turned off the lights, so I figured I should ask her out. I asked her if she had a boyfriend and she said that she did. Hmmm, now what? "Do you think he'd mind if I took you out sometime?" Pretty bold, I know, but what was I supposed to do? To my surprise she insisted that he wouldn't mind and I got her number.

I got her number, now I just needed to think of something to do for a date, all my dates since my mission had pretty much been huge embarrassing failures on my part so I spent the next week at work running some ideas by my buddy, Jake. He turned down a bunch of my ideas none of which can I remember now. Finally as a last resort and half joking I said, "how about I just take her to Temple Square and walk around then go watch the Testaments at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building?" Jake thought that was a great idea so I went with that.

So for our first date Sam and I went to Temple Square and watched The Testaments, then we went to Marie Callender's for dinner. It was a lot of fun. Now it's Sam's turn to tell it how she remembers, I guess.

1 comment:

diana said...

Aaaawwww! That's so sweet Paul. I love that remember all those details. She's a lucky girl to have you. And you're a lucky guy to have her. I love your little family. And I'm SO GLAD you're happy. Love love love.